These homemade pizza pockets are perfect for kids’ lunchboxes! They’re freezer-friendly and can go from freezer to lunchbox without any extra steps. Swap out the veggies inside for your favorites! To make pockets shiny, brush with egg whites after baking.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon quick rise yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons (plus 1 tsp.) olive oil, divided
- 1 cup slightly warm water
- 3/4 cup uncooked oat bran hot cereal
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 16 slices pepperoni, quartered
- 4 mushrooms, sliced
- 4 mini sweet peppers, sliced
- 1 clementine
- 1/4 cup cherry tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons hummus
- Combine all-purpose flour, yeast, sugar and salt in stand-mixer with paddle attachment. With motor running, add 2 Tbsp. oil and warm water. Switch paddle attachment to dough hook. Add oat bran and mix until combined. Add whole wheat flour a little at a time and stop when it forms a slightly sticky ball. Continue to run mixer 1 minute. Brush ball of dough with 1 teaspoon olive oil, cover with plastic wrap and place somewhere warm to rise 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 450ºF. Spray large baking sheet with cooking spray. Set aside
- Punch down dough. Dust counter lightly with flour. Roll out half of dough to 1/4-inch thick, dusting with more flour if too sticky. Use 4-inch round cookie cutter to cut rounds.
- Spoon 1 tsp. tomato sauce in middle of each round. Add 1/2 Tbsp. cheese, 4 quarters pepperoni, mushroom slice and 2 pepper slices. Moisten edges of dough with water. Fold dough over filling and press to seal. Use the tines of a fork to crimp and further seal the edge.
- Place pizza pockets on baking sheet. Poke the top of each with fork.
- Bake 15 minutes, or until tops are browned (some cheese may leak out).
- Once cool, freeze single layer on baking sheet. Once frozen, wrap individually in plastic wrap and transfer to freezer bag. If placed frozen in a lunchbox, even with an ice pack, they will defrost by lunchtime.
- Serve with clementine, tomatoes and hummus.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 338Total Fat: 11gCholesterol: 13mgSodium: 380mgCarbohydrates: 51gFiber: 7gSugar: 9gProtein: 13g