The cheesy chicken broccoli rice casserole is a comfort food staple in many houses. For this recipe, we swapped out the rice for riced cauliflower to pump up the veggies and skipped the condensed soup for an easy homemade version using pantry staples. This dish can also be made ahead of time and reheated for an easy weeknight meal.
Nutrition Tip: The carrot is not the only veggie helpful for maintaining eye health, as broccoli contains vitamins A, B, C, and E. All four vitamins aid in repairing any damage done from a bit too much screen time or beach days without sunglasses.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (16 oz.) package cauliflower rice
- 8 ounces broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup shredded lowfat Cheddar cheese
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper, to taste and place in heated skillet. Cook 3-5 minutes per side, or until browned. Cover and cook through. Remove from heat and let cool before chopping.
- Return skillet to medium-low heat. Add butter and let melt. Add flour and whisk 1 minute. Whisk in broth and milk until smooth. Bring to a simmer and cook 2-3 minutes, or until thickened. Remove from heat and stir in curry powder and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Spray 8x8-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Place cauliflower and broccoli in large bowl, cover and microwave on HIGH 3 minutes. Let cool slightly. Add chicken and prepared sauce and mix well. Transfer to baking dish and top with cheese.
- Bake 20-25 minutes, or until bubbly and cheese is melted.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 397Total Fat: 19gCholesterol: 140mgSodium: 464mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 3.5gSugar: 4.5gProtein: 43g