In this episode of Healthy Family Project, we talk to Pamela Riemenschneider about fruit and veggie hacks and must-know tips to save money and keep your produce fresh for weeks. Pamela shares her infinite produce knowledge to help us store fruits and veggies properly, ideas for using up foods before they go bad, and an avocado hack that will change your life!
Pamela is a mom of two boys and the retail editor for Produce Blue Book Services. She grew up in the world of fresh produce and has been part of the fresh produce industry for more than 10 years.
Healthy Recipes & Tips in Your Inbox
Sign up for the Produce for Kids e-newsletter to receive healthy recipe inspiration, our latest blog posts and more directly to your inbox each week.
Healthy Family Project Facebook Group
Join our new Healthy Family Project Facebook group! This group will serve as a safe space for parents and caregivers to talk all about raising a healthy family – from dealing with a picky eater and tips to get more fruits and veggies onto plates to exercising as a family and mental health. We welcome all of you to join in!
Healthy Bites Featuring Eat Smart
Today, we’re snacking on Eat Smart’s Sweet Kale Chopped Salad Kit! Sweet Kale is the superhero of superfood salads. Kale, green cabbage, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, chicory, roasted pumpkin seeds and dried cranberries – all tossed in a classic poppyseed dressing. Seven superfoods never tasted so good! Enjoy on its own or pair with your protein of choice for a delicious and filling meal.
Want to skip straight to a hot topic? See time stamps below. But of course, we recommend listening all the way through!
- 4:27 Welcome back, Pamela!
- 5:33 Is our food safe?
- 6:44 What’s the safest way to clean our food?
- 9:20 Tips to keep fruits and veggies fresh for longer
- 20:38 Healthy Bite from Eat Smart
- 22:42 How to cut back on food waste? Eat now versus eat later veggies
- 31:52 Bagged versus packaged produce: which one is safer to buy?
- 38:51 What does a healthy family mean to you?
- Subscribe to Produce with Pamela on Youtube
- Storing Fruits & Vegetables for Better Taste
- 7 Tips to Reduce Food Waste and Save Money
- 8 Fruits & Veggies You Can Regrow from Scraps
- Long-Lasting Fruits & Vegetables for a Well-Stocked Kitchen
- Resources to Survive Quarantine with Your Family
- Cooking Substitutions: Easy Swaps for Common Ingredients
Other Podcast Episodes to Check Out:
- Episode 18: How Families Can Reduce Food Waste
- Episode 50: Managing Kids at Home During Coronavirus
- Episode 36: Dietitian-Approved Healthy Grocery Shopping Tips
Healthy Family Project Podcast
Conversations covering hot topics in the world of health, food and family with a dose of fun. Helping families ease their way into a new fresh and healthy world. Brought to you by Produce for Kids.
Be on the lookout for new bi-weekly episodes and don’t forget to subscribe on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify or your favorite podcasting site. If you like an episode, make sure to leave a rating and comment.
If you are interested in being a guest on the Healthy Family Project podcast, contact email@example.com with your topic idea for consideration.