With warmer weather upon us and summer officially kicking-off in June, there’s nothing parents want more than for their children to be outside with their friends enjoying all that summer has to offer.
From keeping kids hydrated to teaching them the importance of sun safety, here are a few reminders to keep your family safe this summer:
- Never leave a child unattended around water, and always have adults supervising young swimmers.
- Make sure pool gates or fencing around the pool self-close and are at a height small children cannot reach.
- Swimming aids such as “floaties” are not a substitute for approved life vests.
- Share pool safety or boating instructions with all family members and guests using your facility.
- Use caution with outdoor grills when children are present.
- Clean all raw fruits and vegetables, and keep raw meats separate from cooked foods.
- If you’re marinating food, make sure it’s marinating in the refrigerator or cooler.
- Never let cooked foods sit at room temperature for more than 2 hours.
- Pack your cooler with plenty of ice to ensure a temperature below 40 degrees. Bacteria grow in temperatures between 40 and 140 degrees.
- Limit sun exposure for kids and infants, and apply sunscreen even on the cloudiest of days.
- Reapply sunscreen every two hours or after swimming or sweating.
- Have kids wear a properly fitted helmet when riding a bike, skateboard, or rollerblading.
- Children should not be thirsty when performing outdoor activities. Always have water or 100% fruit or vegetable juice nearby.