Squash season is in full swing and we love experimenting with different varieties and adding them to our weekly rotation. Turn acorn squash into an edible bowl with this nutrient-packed recipe that’s vegetarian-friendly and perfect for when you’re craving a comforting meal. Prep the filling ahead of time for easy assembly.
- 2 acorn squash
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divded
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 pear, peeled, diced
- 1 persimmon, diced (if available)
- 1/2 RealSweet® sweet onion, diced
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup shredded gouda cheese
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Cut acorn squash in half lengthwise and scoop out seeds. Brush with 1 tsp. olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place on baking sheet and bake 30-40 minutes, or until soft.
- While squash is baking, heat 1 tsp. olive oil in skillet over medium heat. Add celery, pear, persimmon and onion cook 10 minutes, or until onions are translucent.
- Add cooked quinoa, maple syrup and lemon juice to sauce pan and stir 2-3 minutes.
- Scoop mixture into baked acorn squash halves. Top with cheese and bake additional 7-10 minutes, or until cheese melts.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 264Total Fat: 7gCholesterol: 8mgSodium: 88mgCarbohydrates: 45gFiber: 7gSugar: 11gProtein: 7g