These mini apple pie empanadas are portioned just right for a sweet treat without going into a sugar overload. To save time, buy pre-peeled and sliced apples in the grocery store. Let the kiddos help out by filing the empanada shells and sealing with a fork. Plus, they can be cooked in an air fryer in just 8 minutes or baked in the oven.
- 4 cups peeled, sliced Chelan Fresh Gala apples
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 12 frozen empanada shells, thawed
- 1 large egg white, beaten
- Heat skillet on low heat. Add apples, syrup, cornstarch and cinnamon. Cook 10 minutes, stirring frequently, or until apples are tender.
- Line center of each empanada shell with apples, fold and use fork to press edges together and seal. Brush with egg wash.
- Baking Method: Place sealed empanadas on parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake in preheated 375°F oven 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Air Fryer Method: Spray air fryer basket with nonstick cooking spray. Add sealed empanadas and cook on 375°F for 8 minutes, or until golden brown.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 176Total Fat: 4gCholesterol: 15mgSodium: 7mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 1gSugar: 8gProtein: 4g