The classic Chicken Pot Pie gets a healthy makeover with this easy recipe prepped in 15 minutes! Pack this soup in an insulated container for a warm & hearty meal at lunchtime.
- 1 store-bought refrigerated 9” rolled pie crust
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 RealSweet® sweet onion, chopped
- 4 cups chopped kale
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups 1% milk
- 3 cups cooked diced chicken
- 1 cup frozen peas, defrosted
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Follow pie crust instructions for letting crust rest before using. Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Heat butter over medium heat in large pot until melted. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes, or until translucent. Add kale and cook 3 minutes, or until wilted. Sprinkle vegetables with flour and stir. Slowly add milk while stirring. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and add chicken, peas, mustard, thyme, garlic powder and salt. Stir occasionally until heated through.
- Meanwhile, unroll pie crust and cut into 3-inch rounds.
- Spray baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray and place rounds on pan. Whisk egg and water in small bowl and brush top of rounds.
- Bake pie rounds 9 minutes, or until golden brown. Brush again with egg mixture. Let cool.
- Ladle chicken stew into thermos. Wrap pastry circles in plastic wrap to be packed in lunchbox alongside stew and placed on top before eating.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 461Total Fat: 22gCholesterol: 74mgSodium: 585mgCarbohydrates: 36gSugar: 7gProtein: 21.5g