This Italian orzo pasta salad can be made ahead up to three days in advance and keeps well, making it a great option for lunchboxes, picnics and travel. Add 2 Tbsp. chopped kalamata olives for a little tang or sprinkle with 2 Tbsp. crumbled feta for a creamier dish.
Nutrition Tip: Cherry tomatoes are filled with antioxidants, such as lycopene and beta-carotene, which are linked to reducing the risk of certain types of cancers.
How do you #PowerYourLunchbox? Show us your healthy lunchboxes on Instagram using #PowerYourLunchbox for a chance to win weekly prizes.
Looking for more lunchbox ideas? We’ve got you covered with 70+ ideas including make-ahead ideas, non-sandwich lunches, ideas for repurposing leftovers, and vegetarian, nut-free and gluten-free recipes.
Or check out all of our back-to-school content on our blog. A few of our most popular posts include:
- The Ultimate Guide to Packing Healthy Lunchboxes
- After-School Snacks that Won’t Ruin Dinner
- The Best Lunchboxes for Kids
- 20 Lunchbox-Packing Tips & Hacks from Parents
- 3/4 cup orzo
- 3/4 cup chopped broccoli florets, chopped
- 3/4 cup halved yellow and red cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2/3 cup low-sodium garbanzo beans, drained, rinsed
- 2 sprigs basil, chopped
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil and vinegar dressing
- Cook orzo according to package directions. Drain and do not rinse. Pour into large mixing bowl.
- Prepare ice bath by placing a few cubes of ice with water in medium bowl.
- Place broccoli in covered microwaveable dish with 1 Tbsp. water. Microwave on HIGH 30 seconds. Drain and transfer to ice bath for 30 seconds. Drain and add to orzo.
- Add tomatoes, garbanzo beans, basil, cheese, and dressing to orzo and broccoli. Toss and season with pepper as desired. Serve at room temperature or slightly chilled.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 342Total Fat: 19.73gSodium: 184mgCarbohydrates: 24.33gFiber: 5.71gSugar: 9.39gProtein: 18.82g