Traditional green bean casserole gets a healthier twist. Skip the condensed soup for a creamy, homemade sauce and top with nutrient-rich almonds for a little crunch.
- 1 (16 oz.) package green beans
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted until golden
- Bring 2 quarts of water to a boil in large saucepot; add green beans and cook uncovered, 4-5 minutes, or until tender.
- Heat butter in skillet over medium heat; add garlic and onion, and cook 1-2 minutes. Add salt, pepper and half-and-half, and simmer 7 minutes, or until half-and-half is reduced slightly.
- Toss half-and-half mixture with green beans and top with almonds.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 182Total Fat: 13gCholesterol: 26mgSodium: 94mgCarbohydrates: 12.5gFiber: 4gSugar: 4.5gProtein: 5g