Healthier than other homemade chicken nuggets, these have a chicken and cauliflower filling and a bran flake crumb coating. Serve them straight from the oven or freeze them to pop a few into lunchboxes still frozen or bake until heated for a quick weeknight entree. Freeze in a single layer before transferring to a freezer bag to store in freezer for up to 3 months.
- 16 ounces cauliflower florets
- 3 cups cooked chopped chicken breast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs, divided
- 3 tablespoons milk, divided
- 1/2 cup flour
- 3 1/2 cups bran flakes
- Place cauliflower and 2 Tbsp. water in bowl. Cover loosely and microwave HIGH for 2 minutes at a time, for 5-6 minutes or until very tender.
- Place cauliflower, chicken and salt in food processor and pulse into very small pieces.
- Whisk 1 egg and 1 Tbsp. milk in small bowl. Add to cauliflower and puree until smooth. Mixture should be slightly damp but able to hold together when pressed. If too dry, add a drizzle of milk and puree
- Preheat oven to 400. Spray large baking sheet with baking spray.
- Put flour on plate. In bowl whisk together remaining eggs and milk. In separate bowl, add bran flakes and crumble into small pieces.
- Scoop 1 Tbsp. of cauliflower mixture and drop gently into flour. Use fingers to roll around to coat, forming into a ball. Remove from flour and place in egg mixture; flip to coat. Remove and place into bran flakes. Roll around to coat. Transfer ball to prepared baking sheet and press down and flatten into a ¾" inch thick oval. Spray nuggets with baking spray.
- Place in oven and bake 15 minutes, or until nuggets begin to darken underneath. Flip and cook 10 minutes. Serve immediately or allow to cool on pan.