Give the traditional creamed spinach a healthy makeover with this rich and creamy recipe. The addition of mushrooms also adds a great unami flavor.
I love creamed spinach! I was anemic as a kid and my mom would make sure this was on the dinner table at least once a week. This dish gives traditional creamed spinach a healthy makeover while still maintaining that rich and creamy texture that everyone loves.
Instead of using heavy cream, we swap in lowfat milk and a flavorful Colby Jack cheese for just the right amount of creamy goodness without a ton of fat.
Spinach is a rich source of folate and iron, and onions are an excellent source of vitamin C. Plus, mushrooms provide even more vitamins, including copper, potassium, magnesium, zinc and a number of B vitamins such as folate.
Nutrition Tip: Leafy green spinach is packed with many essential vitamins and minerals. It is an especially rich source of magnesium –a mineral that is vital for muscle movement and nerve function.
The secret to this recipe is the nutmeg. You only need a pinch, but without it I think you miss that warm dept of flavor.
You can also change up the cheese based on your family’s preference. However, if you can, shred your own cheese instead of buying it pre-shredded as it will melt a little easier. Pre-shredded cheese is coated to prevent it from clumping in the bag, but it can make it harder to melt and come together in your sauce.
Get more fresh takes on holiday favorites with our free e-cookbook!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 medium sweet onion, finely diced
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 9 ounces baby spinach
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 3/4 cup shredded Colby Jack cheese
- Heat 1 Tbsp. oil in large skillet over medium high heat; add onions and cook for 2–3 minutes, until translucent. Add mushrooms cook for 5 minutes, or until browned. Add spinach, nutmeg, salt and pepper and cook until spinach is wilted. Remove pan from heat and set aside.
- Heat remaining oil over medium heat. Whisk in flour and cook, stirring 1-2 minutes, or until bubbling. Slowly whisk in milk and continue to whisk until bubbling. Remove from heat. Add cheese and mix until melted.
- Add cheese to vegetable mixture and mix until well combined.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, we may earn a commission from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 189Total Fat: 13gSodium: 196mgCarbohydrates: 8.5gFiber: 2gProtein: 10g