Fresh cherries, crunchy walnuts and chocolate chips give these healthier muffins tons of flavor without a lot of sugar. Made with white whole wheat flour, ripe bananas, Greek yogurt and almond milk, then lightly sweetened with maple syrup for a delicious way to use up extra cherries this summer!
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana, about two medium bananas
- 1 cup plain lowfat Greek yogurt
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup plain unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 cup pitted, chopped cherries
- 1/3 cup (plus 2 Tbsp.) semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
- 1/3 cup (plus 2 Tbsp.) chopped walnuts, divided
- Preheat oven to 325F. Spray 12-cup muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray or line with paper liners.
- Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in medium bowl.
- Mash bananas in separate medium bowl. Add yogurt, egg, almond milk and maple syrup, and mix well.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until incorporated. Fold in cherries, ⅓ cup chocolate chips and ⅓ cup walnuts.
- Pour batter evenly into muffin tin. Sprinkle with additional chocolate chips and walnuts on top.
- Bake 20-25 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center of muffin comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool 5 minutes. Remove muffins from muffin tin and let cool completely.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1 muffin
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 146Total Fat: 6.2gCholesterol: 17mgSodium: 230mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 2.5gSugar: 9gProtein: 5g