Chicken salad is so versatile and can quickly be added to many dishes for a protein boost. This recipe is made without mayo, but balsamic dressing adds zest. Keep a big batch of chicken salad on hand and add to pitas for a super easy lunchbox that’s ready in minutes.
Nutrition Tip: Chicken is a lean source of the protein kids need for growth and development right now. Each two-ounce portion of chicken packs 12 grams of protein and just one gram of fat.
How do you #PowerYourLunchbox? Show us your healthy lunchboxes on Instagram using #PowerYourLunchbox for a chance to win weekly prizes.
Looking for more lunchbox ideas? We’ve got you covered with 70+ ideas including make-ahead ideas, non-sandwich lunches, ideas for repurposing leftovers, and vegetarian, nut-free and gluten-free recipes.
Or check out all of our back-to-school content on our blog. A few of our most popular posts include:
- The Ultimate Guide to Packing Healthy Lunchboxes
- After-School Snacks that Won’t Ruin Dinner
- The Best Lunchboxes for Kids
- 20 Lunchbox-Packing Tips & Hacks from Parents
- 8 ounces cooked shredded chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- 2 ounces shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 ounces raisins
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinaigrette
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups spinach
- 2 whole wheat pitas, halved
- 2 mini sweet peppers, sliced
- 1 mandarin, per serving
- Combine chicken, sunflower seeds, cheese, raisins, dressing, salt and pepper in medium bowl.
- Line pita halves with spinach and chicken salad. Place in lunchboxes.
- Serve with mini sweet peppers, guacamole and mandarin.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 240Total Fat: 6gCholesterol: 35mgSodium: 443mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 4gSugar: 10gProtein: 15g