This Butternut Squash Lasagna recipe is vegetarian, nutritious, and perfect for the cold weather season. It’s also loved by both kids and adults!
I’ve always loved butternut squash and I enjoy eating it simply roasted, tossed in salads, and especially in Butternut Squash Soup. I’d never used it in lasagna until just recently, and I’m so glad I gave it a try. This lasagna is creamy, hearty, and flavorful, and truly is the perfect comfort food.
The squash is simply roasted in the oven, the béchamel sauce comes together quickly on the stove, and I used no-boil lasagna noodles which means less to clean up. Again, this is a very easy recipe that comes together in no time. This is the kind of dish you will want to make all winter long!
- 6 cups cubed butternut squash
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary, roughly chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup low-sodium vegetable stock
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 1/2 cups 1/2 cup 1% milk
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 9 no-boil lasagna noodles
- 2 cups shredded lowfat mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Spread squash on baking sheet. Drizzle with oil and season with rosemary, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Bake 10 minutes, stir, then bake additional 10 minutes, or until tender and edges start to brown.
- Cool squash slightly and transfer to a food processor. Add broth and blend until smooth.
- Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and whisk 1 minute. Slowly whisk in milk. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer 5 minutes, whisking often, or until sauce thickens. Whisk in nutmeg. Season sauce with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Reduce oven heat to 375°F. Spray 13x9-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Spread 1/3 of the sauce on bottom of baking dish. Top with 3 lasagna noodles. Spread 1/3 of squash puree, sprinkle with 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese and spread 1/3 of the sauce over noodles. Repeat layering 2 times.
- Cover baking dish tightly with foil and bake 40 minutes. Sprinkle remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese over lasagna and continue baking 15 minutes, uncovered, or until sauce bubbles and top is golden brown. Let rest 15 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with additional chopped rosemary, if desired.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 302Total Fat: 13gCholesterol: 37mgSodium: 459mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 2gSugar: 11gProtein: 16g