Kids will love helping fill these carrot muffins with applesauce for a fun breakfast, dessert or snack! The cream cheese & Greek yogurt combination for the frosting offers a sweet, but not too sweet, flair.
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large eggs, whites and yolks separated
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup nonfat milk, divded
- 2 carrots, peeled, shredded
- 4 ounces light cream cheese
- 1/4 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 applesauce pouches
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line 12 cup muffin tin with liners and set aside.
- Mix sugar and butter in large bowl until soft. Add egg yolks and mix until well combined. Set aside.
- Beat egg whites in separate bowl until soft peaks form. Set aside
- Combine all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in large bowl. Add ½ dry ingredients to butter mixture and stir to combine. Stir in ¼ cup milk. Add remaining dry ingredients and stir to combine. Stir in remaining ¼ cup milk. Gently fold in carrots and beaten egg whites.
- Spoon batter into muffin cups. Bake 18-22 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into muffin comes out clean. Remove from muffin tin and cool.
- Meanwhile, combine cream cheese, yogurt and honey. Transfer to a piping bag or plastic bag with a cut corner and refrigerate.
- Once muffins are cool, use melon baller inserted into top of muffins to scoop out about 1 Tbsp. from inside. Fill holes with pureed fruit. Pipe cream cheese mixture to cover hole.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 205Total Fat: 8gCholesterol: 50mgSodium: 150mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 2gSugar: 15gProtein: 5g