- Turnips are in season October through March.
Health Benefits of Turnips:
- Turnip greens are an excellent source of vitamin K, vitamin A, vitamin C, folate, copper, manganese, dietary fiber, calcium, vitamin E and vitamin B6.
How to Select Turnips:
- Look for smaller turnips with unblemished skin that are firm to the touch and heavy for their size. Larger turnips tend to be woody and rough-tasting.
- Avoid turnips that are soft to the touch or contain mold, black spots or cuts.
How to Store Turnips:
- Store turnips unwashed in a plastic bag in the vegetable crisper drawer of the refrigerator for up to 1 month.
How to Prepare Turnips:
- Slice off the root end. Larger turnips should be peeled, but smaller turnips (2 inches or less in diameter) can be cooked without peeling.
Fun Facts About Turnips:
- First cultivated in prehistoric times, turnips gained popularity during the Middle Ages as a main vegetable for the poor.