- Carrots are in season year-round.
Health Benefits of Carrots:
- Most of the health benefits of carrots are attributed to the beta-carotene and fiber content. Beta-carotenes are converted to Vitamin A in the liver and are a key nutrient in eye health and protecting skin against sun damage.
- Carrots are also rich in antioxidants, Vitamins A, C, K and B8, folate, potassium, iron, copper and manganese.
How to Select Carrots:
- Look for smooth, firm, crisp carrots with deep coloring.
- Avoid soft, wilted or split carrots.
How to Store Carrots:
- Refrigerate carrots in plastic bag for up to 2 weeks.
How to Prepare Carrots:
- Always wash before eating.
- Peel large carrots and remove green tops before cooking or eating.
Fun Facts About Carrots:
- Not all carrots are orange. Purple, white, red and yellow carrots can also be found.
- The first carrots were grown as medicine, not food.
- The biggest carrot recorded is more than 19 pounds and the longest is over 19 feet!