Skip to content
Skip to main menu
- Asparagus is available year-round, with peak season being February – June
Health Benefits of Asparagus:
- Very good source of fiber, folate, Vitamins A, C, E and K
- Packed with antioxidants, helping to neutralize cell-damaging free radicals.
How to Select Asparagus:
- Choose firm asparagus stalks with dry, tight tips. Avoid limp or wilted stalks.
How to Store Asparagus:
- Store asparagus for up to four days in the refrigerator by wrapping the ends of stalks in a wet paper towel and placing in plastic bag.
- Alternately, store asparagus upright in a glass with 1 inch of water.
How to Prepare Asparagus:
- Rinse asparagus under cold water. Snap off the pale woody ends of the asparagus and discard.
- If asparagus is stringy, carefully peel away the rough skin from the bottom half of the spears with a vegetable peeler.
- Asparagus can be blanched in boiling water, roasted, grilled or steamed.
Fun Facts about Asparagus:
- The earliest depiction of asparagus was in Egypt in 3,000 BC.
- Roman emperors had “asparagus fleets” to gather only the best quality asparagus.