In this episode of Healthy Family Project, we talk to our official registered dietitian, Sally Kuzemchak, about the new nutrition facts panel and what changes to be aware of. The new label was designed to reflect more current knowledge about nutrition. Sally breaks down changes to serving sizes, added sugars, and daily values to help shoppers make more informed decisions when picking up new items.
Sally is a registered dietitian, author, and mom of two boys. She blogs at RealMomNutrition.com, a “no-judgement zone” for feeding families. She is the author of two books, The 101 Healthiest Foods For Kids, a guidebook to the best whole foods for kids, and Cooking Light Dinnertime Survival Guide, a cookbook for busy families.
An award-winning reporter and writer, Sally serves as a Contributing Editor for Parents magazine and a blogger for WebMD. Her writing has been published in magazines including Prevention, Health, Family Circle, Eating Well, Fitness, and Shape.
Sally received her master’s degree in dietetics from The Ohio State University and resides in Columbus, OH with her family.
Healthy Recipes & Tips in Your Inbox
Sign up for the Produce for Kids e-newsletter to receive healthy recipe inspiration, our latest blog posts and more directly to your inbox each week.
Healthy Family Project Facebook Group
Join our new Healthy Family Project Facebook group! This group will serve as a safe space for parents and caregivers to talk all about raising a healthy family – from dealing with a picky eater and tips to get more fruits and veggies onto plates to exercising as a family and mental health. We welcome all of you to join in!
Want to skip straight to a hot topic? See time stamps below. But of course, we recommend listening all the way through!
- 3:17 Why & when the label is changing
- 5:44 What key info should we be looking for?
- 9:06 What got removed from the previous label?
- 10:12 Sugar information on the new label
- 12:51 Daily values demystified
- 15:40 Vitamins
- 16:38 Sodium
- The Food Label Gets a Makeover: 7 Changes to Know
- Check out Sally’s blog
- Follow Sally on Instagram, Facebook, & Twitter
- Real Life Perspective from a Dietitian Mom
- Read Sally’s articles on WebMD
- Free courses & ebooks from Sally
- Join the Healthy Family Project Facebook group
Other Podcast Episodes to Check Out:
- Episode 46: Conquering Family Mealtime Struggles
- Episode 36: Dietitian-Approved Healthy Grocery Shopping Tips
- Episode 14: Why You Should Grocery Shop With Kids
Healthy Family Project Podcast
Conversations covering hot topics in the world of health, food and family with a dose of fun. Helping families ease their way into a new fresh and healthy world. Brought to you by Produce for Kids.
Be on the lookout for new bi-weekly episodes and don’t forget to subscribe on Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify or your favorite podcasting site. If you like an episode, make sure to leave a rating and comment.
If you are interested in being a guest on the Healthy Family Project podcast, contact firstname.lastname@example.org with your topic idea for consideration.