As we all face uncertainty and stay-at-home orders, a quick trip to the grocery store just isn’t in the cards. If you are like me, you find a recipe and then hopes are dashed as you find out you are missing just one ingredient. Back to the drawing board I go.
After facing this several times in the last week, my daughters and I found ourselves asking Alexa what we could substitute. After some thought, I decided it would be a fun activity for me and my daughter, Charli, to research and talk to our friends and family about their ingredient swaps and share them with all of you.
I have not used all of these but Produce for Kids team members and members of our Healthy Family Project group have offered their insight.
Here’s our list to help you in your quarantine kitchen. Leave a comment here or on our Facebook page letting us know your swap and we’ll add it to the list!
Easy Swaps for Common Ingredients
- Lemon Juice: Sub 1 Tbsp. lemon juice with 1½ tsp. white vinegar, or equal amounts of orange or lime juice in recipes.
- Vegetable or Beef Broth: Sub 1 cup vegetable or beef broth with 1 cup water + 1 Tbsp. soy sauce (you can also add in any seasonings like salt, pepper, garlic, etc. to add more flavor)
- Buttermilk: Sub 1 cup buttermilk with 1 Tbsp. white vinegar or lemon juice (or 1¾ tsp. cream of tartar) + enough milk to measure 1 cup. Stir and let stand for 5 minutes before adding to the recipe. You can also swap an equal amount of plain yogurt for buttermilk.
- Eggs: Sub 1 egg with 1 tsp. flaxseed + 3 tsp. water. Stir and let sit 5 minutes to thicken before adding to the recipe. You can also sub 1 egg for 1 ripe banana, mashed.
- Vegetable Oil: Sub 1 cup vegetable oil with 1/2 cup applesauce or fruit puree in baking recipes.
- Tomato Paste: Sub with an equal amount of ketchup or sub 1 Tbsp. tomato paste with 2 Tbsp. tomato puree or sauce and reduce the liquid in the recipe by 2 Tbsp.
- Balsamic Vinegar: Sub 1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar with 1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar + ½ tsp. brown sugar
- White Wine: Sub 1 cup white wine with 1 cup chicken broth for savory recipes or 1 cup apple juice in desserts. You can also sub 1 cup white wine with ½ cup white wine + ½ cup water.
- Honey: Sub with equal amounts of maple syrup or agave nectar
- Sour Cream: Sub with equal amounts of Greek yogurt
Other Simple Substitutions
- Cinnamon = Pumpkin Pie Spice
- Parsley = Celery Leaves
- Vanilla Extract = Maple Syrup or ½ amount Almond Extract
- Worcestershire Sauce = Soy Sauce
- Baking Powder (1 tsp.) = 1/4 tsp. baking soda + 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
- Breadcrumbs = Oats or Crumbled Crackers
- 1 Tbsp. fresh herbs = 1 tsp. dried herbs