- Okra is in season May to October.
Health Benefits of Okra:
- Okra contains potassium, Vitamin B, Vitamin C, folic acid and calcium. It also has a high dietary fiber content.
- Studies suggest that okra can help manage blood sugar levels.
How to Select Okra:
- Look for okra with smaller pods around the size of your pinky or index finger and a bright green color with no blackened age spots.
How to Store Okra:
- Store okra in a paper bag or wrapped in paper towels in the crisper drawer of your refrigerator.
- Do not wash until you're ready to consume.
How to Prepare Okra:
- Reduce sliminess in okra by soaking in vinegar for half an hour before cooking.
- Trim the stem end of okra, then prepare according to recipe.
Fun Facts About Okra:
- Okra is commonly referred to as Lady's Fingers.
- Okra was discovered around Ethiopia during the 12th century B.C.