- Cucumber are available year-round with peak season being May through July.
Health Benefits of Cucumbers:
- Cucumbers are 96% water, helping to keep you hydrated.
- Cucumbers contain potassium, which can help lower blood pressure.
- A good source of Vitamin K, a vitamin essential for bone health.
How to Select Cucumbers:
- Choose firm, dark green cucumbers with no wrinkles or spongy spots.
- Avoid wilted, soft of damaged cucumbers.
How to Store Cucumbers:
- Store cucumbers in a plastic bag on a shelf toward the front of the refrigerator up to 3-5 days.
How to Prepare Cucumbers:
- Rinse cucumbers under cold water before cutting.
- Waxed cucumbers need to peeled, but you can leave the peel on unwaxed cucumbers (it’s full of Vitamin A!)
Fun Facts About Cucumbers:
- The English cucumber is the largest cucumber that can grow over 2 feet long
- Do you have a problem with your bathroom mirror fogging up after your morning shower? Try rubbing a cucumber slice along the mirror. It will eliminate the fog and provide a soothing, spa-like fragrance.